Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Chapter 13


Frannie stood as if rooted to the spot. The calm with which she spoke belied the fear that was coiling in her belly. He was here, in her home, her worst nightmare had just come true. She reached behind her, her hand wrapping around the neck of the guitar. “What do you want from me?” She was tired of being the victim. She had given in to her fear that morning and she wasn’t going to do it again. She wasn’t going to let him win this time.

He looked at her, his back to the door. “I wanted you to notice me. You never noticed me. Every time you came into the store, you never noticed me.” Frannie had no idea what he was talking about. “Store, what store?”

He stepped closer, “the art supply store. I always made sure we had your favorite brushes and pencils, paints, but you never gave me the time of day!” He lunged for her and she side-stepped his advance, leaving him to fall against the wall. “Bitch, you’re gonna be sorry you did that.” He turned, knife in hand and he advanced on Frannie.

“Hey!” came from the direction of the door. He turned to find Jon standing in the doorway. He had come looking for Frannie, wanting to find out what was taking so long. “Think you’re gonna be able to save your girlfriend, rock star?” He sneered at Jon.

Grasping the guitar in both hands, Frannie took the opportunity of his momentary distraction and swung it at him, hitting him across the back of the head. He fell to his knees and Jon punched him in the face, breaking his nose and, using a trick he learned from Dorothea, kicked him square in the chest, leaving him to fall to the floor. Jon rushed to Frannie, taking the now broken guitar from her and gathering her close, “are you okay baby?” She was shaking, “I think so. Are you okay?” He held her tighter, “I’m fine. I called the police when I heard the voices in here, they should be here any minute.” Just as he finished speaking they heard the sirens.

Frannie looked down at the man lying on her floor; he was moaning but not moving. She felt some satisfaction knowing that she had had a hand in his present condition. She hadn’t let her fear get the best of her. Her gaze moved to the now broken guitar. She looked at Jon, “oh Jon, your guitar” she put her hand up over her mouth, “I’m sorry.” He just chuckled, “I’m not worried about the guitar. I have others. I’m just glad you’re okay.” She pressed a kiss to his lips, “where’s Sophie?”

As they walked past the man to leave the room, his hand came out and grasped Frannie’s ankle, tripping her, causing her to fall to the floor. Jon turned and stomped on his forearm, the sickening crunch indicating a broken bone. Jon helped Frannie up as the man writhed in pain. “Come on Frannie, let’s get out of here.” The police were banging on the door as they walked back into the living room. Frannie unbuckled Sophie from the car seat and held her close as Jon let the officers in and led them to the studio. She watched as they walked him by her and out the door.

Officer Simmons stayed back, “we’re sorry this happened Ms. Daniels. He won’t be getting away again. I can promise you that.” Frannie just nodded at the officer. Jon came back and sat next to Frannie, ice on his hand. The officer spoke again, “we’re going to need to get your statements.” She noticed the overnight bag, “going somewhere?” Frannie nodded and pointed at Jon, “to his house.” Officer Simmons nodded, “I think that’s a good idea. We’ll try not to keep you any longer than necessary.”

Officer Simmons was true to her word. An hour later they were in the car heading to Jon’s. Frannie laid her head back against the seat with a sigh. Jon glanced at her, “are you okay?” She turned and looked at him, “I’m not going to be able to use my studio again. I’ll always see him there. It would just be too hard.” When she closed her eyes now she saw him in her space. She knew she wouldn’t be able to work there again. Jon took her hand, “I know baby. Is there any where you can work until we can figure this out?” She gave a slight nod, “I can work at the gallery or at the university I suppose.” Her eyes flew to his face, “you said ‘we’. What do you mean until ‘we figure this out’?”

He turned the car into the drive and as they pulled up to the door he shut the car off and turned to her. “I want to help you Frannie. You don’t have to do this or anything else by yourself. I’m here and want to help. Will you let me?” Frannie leaned in and kissed him, “you are way too good for me. Yes, I would like the help. Thank you.” He kissed her back. “Come on let’s get the little princess inside.” Frannie got out and opened the back door and unbuckled Sophie, “come on baby girl, let’s go in and get you fed and then to bed. It’s been a long night.”

Once Frannie got Sophie settled she found Jon in the den. He had lit the fire and was sitting on the sofa, wine glass in hand. She walked up behind him and massaged his shoulders. “How are ya doing?” He pulled her around to sit next to him. “I’m all right, my hand is sore though.” She picked up his hand and noticed the bruises at the knuckles. She kissed each one before looking at him, “thank you for being there tonight Jon. I don’t want to think what would have happened if you hadn’t been.” He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him, “you don’t have to thank me, but you could answer a question.” She plucked the wine glass from his other hand and took a sip, “what’s that?” He took the glass back, “why didn’t you scream or yell when you saw him there?”

Frannie thought for a minute, “I didn’t want you to come running in with Sophie. I didn’t want either of you to get hurt because of me. And, I guess, I wanted to face my fear and not let it get the better of me again. I was tired of being the victim and I wanted it to be over.” He kissed her “you are a brave woman Frannie. Remind me not to piss you off though; you are lethal with a guitar.” She had to laugh, “rest assured, I won’t be hitting anyone with a guitar again anytime soon. I was just going on instinct there.” He leaned in to her, “well, I’m going on instinct here” his mouth came down on hers, lightly kissing her lips, tracing them with his tongue. She parted her lips and he pulled her to him as his tongue invaded her mouth, dancing with hers. Frannie wrapped her arms around him, letting his kiss take her over.

They sat like that on the sofa, making out like teenagers, until Jon finally had to pull away. He stood and held out his hand to Frannie, “let’s go to bed.” She looked up at him, the fire in his made them almost midnight blue. She took his hand and let him lead the way.

8 comments:

The Goddess Hathor said...

Hi Steph! Thanks for the heads up on the chapter, and for the quick turnaround. Before I get into more trouble, I'm just gonna say, glad Frannie took care of the raht-bahstid and had Jon to help her. Too bad she can't find solace in her studio anymore.

Hmmmmm, do I dare to see through the fog Jon coming to the rescue there, too? He place is large, and there's gotta be a room with good lighting... tee hee

Thanks again, Steph!

jonsguttergirl said...

Loved the chapter! So proud of Frannie not giving into her fear, and loved that Jon broke a few bones on that ass!

Starr said...

Well I was correct, it was him though Hathor did have a good point. She noted the lack of a scream or escape, I noted the broken window which had to mean trouble. But neither one of us could see inside your brain realizing you had reasons for writing the scene like that.

Man Steph when you throw in trouble it's bad trouble. What a scene! So glad they beat the shit out of the bastard! Hopefully he will get locked up for a very long time.

And I agree with Hathor again. I think she should move in with Jon. Hell I sure would! lol!

Thoroughly enjoyed the chapter and nice work!

Starr said...

Err.. I think Frannie should move in with Jon NOT Hathor... lol! Don't think Jen's husband would be too fond of the idea! LMAO!

Anonymous said...

ROTFL!
Starr, you crack me up!

Glad they kicked the hell out of that scumbag!

Anonymous said...

That was a very exciting chapter! There was playfulness, sex, tenderness, terror, drama & violence all in just a few paragraphs! Whew! Can't wait to read more!!

Opester said...

Thank Goddess! I am so relieved, but I am still mad at the police who did nothing to protect her yet again. I'm really glad that frannie found her strength and had a part in rescuing herself-that will help her heal too. It's nice that she will let Jon take care of her a little-just not too much I hope-she needs her self-reliance to be whole!

Opester said...

Ooops, I hit send too quick-Great chapter-I loved the way it all evolved and the playfulness between them afterwards-I am such a junkie for banter and dialog! Okay, need to go to bed now that my heart stopped beating so fast!