Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Chapter 10


Jon and Frannie had an enjoyable afternoon. The boys were polite enough when Jon introduced Frannie to them, they oohed and ahhed over Sophie, and they actually got along quite well, much to Jon’s surprise.

Frannie had her sketchbook out when Romeo came running over. “Whatchya drawin’? He climbed up on the bench and sat next to her. She smiled down at him, “want to see?” He shook his head. She turned the book so he could see. “It’s me!” he said excitedly. “Yes it is. It’s you and your brother and your dad.”

She had drawn the three of them as she had come upon them, while they were sitting on the bench she now occupied. Jon was in the middle, one boy on either side. Romeo clambered off the bench and ran to Jon, “she drawed us dad, she drawed us!” Jon laughed and walked over by Frannie. “Romeo says you ‘drawed’ us, can I have a look?” She smiled at him and showed him the picture. She had captured a moment when the boys were actually sitting still and he was touched. “This is wonderful Frannie.” She smiled at him as she put her initials in the corner. He waited, but she didn’t tear it out of her book. She looked at him and he was pouting, “I don’t get that one?” She looked down at the sketch, “nope. I think I’m going to keep this one for myself.”

Jon sat down on the bench and looked over at his boys. They were taking turns on the slide. He watched them for a minute and then turned his attention to the stroller. Sophie had been contentedly laying in the stroller until Jon peeked in on her. Her face lit up with a toothless baby grin and she started blowing spit bubbles at him. He reached to unbuckle her, “come here princess.” He lifted her out of the stroller, straightening her little lavender hat before settling her in his arms. He looked over at Frannie. She had flipped to a clean sheet in her book and was drawing again. He was fascinated at how she captured every little nuance of her surroundings. Her pencil moved almost effortlessly. The area of the park they were in was slowly coming to life on the paper. He watched her face, the look of concentration, her lower lip was caught between her teeth, her eyes flitted back and forth between the paper and her surroundings, her fingers softening the pencil strokes. Jon found it to be quite sexy.

Frannie could feel him watching her as she drew. It was a little disconcerting, if not a little arousing. She glanced over at him, “what?” Jon looked over at his boys and then back at her, he dropped a kiss on her lips “you’re sexy when you’re working.” Frannie felt herself blush. “You think this is sexy? You don’t get out much do you?” He laughed. It felt good to have a little flirtatious banter with her. “What can I say? I know what I like.” He touched her chin and turned her head toward him, “and I like you.” She smiled. “I like you too.” He slid closer to her on the bench and she posed a question to him, “would you let me draw you?” He glanced over at his boys, making sure they were still playing nice and then looked back at her. “You have drawn me.” He didn’t understand. “No, I mean would you pose for me and let me draw or paint you?” He chuckled, “what exactly would you be painting me with?” The lecherous look in his eye told her where his train of thought had gone and she answered in kind. “A feather, with long slow strokes over your skin, up and down your …” she was interrupted when the boys came running over. “Dad!”

Jon sighed and shifted in his seat, his jeans had become slightly uncomfortable. “What guys?” Romeo climbed up next to him, “we’re hungry!” Jon laughed, “of course you are.” He looked over at Frannie, “want to come back to my house for an early dinner?” She checked her watch, she was going to have to feed Sophie soon anyway. “I’d like that.” She tucked her sketch book away, wiped her hands and took Sophie from Jon. He looked at the boys, “is it all right if Frannie joins us?” The two little heads nodded in unison.

When they got to Jon’s Frannie closed herself in the den to feed Sophie and the boys were watching a movie in the family room. When Frannie went looking for Jon, she found him in the kitchen. He was perusing the contest of his refrigerator. His housekeeper had the day off, so he was on his own in fixing them something to eat. Frannie moved silently up behind him, peering into the refrigerator over his shoulder “so, what looks good?” He jumped, bobbling the carton of eggs he was holding. “Jesus Frannie” he started as he turned to face her, “I didn’t hear you come in.” She laughed, “that was the idea.” She stepped out of his way and let him move back and forth from the fridge to the counter. Taking stock of the items he laid out, she concluded that they were having scrambled eggs with cheese and toast. She just smiled and shook her head. He noticed, “what?” She shifted Sophie to her shoulder, “would you like some help?” A look of relief crossed his features, “absolutely. I hate cooking.” Frannie laughed, “I kinda got that impression.”

Jon went and got Romeo’s old baby seat and after getting Sophie settled, he and Frannie made scrambled eggs for the boys. Once the boys were eating Frannie turned to Jon, “how about an omelette?” She liked stuff with her eggs and was pleased when Jon pulled out peppers and mushrooms from the fridge, along with some leftover ham. The boys finished just as she was plating theirs so she and Jon were able to eat in relative peace and quiet.

Frannie helped him clean up and decided that she should probably head for home. Glancing outside it was getting dark and Frannie wanted to be safely inside her own home. Jon was watching her, noticing that she was starting to get a bit antsy. “You want to go, don’t you?” Frannie ducked her head, “am I that obvious?” He crossed to her, taking her in his arms, “only because I know you baby. I’m not going to force you to stay if you don’t want to.” She looked up at him, “it’s not that I don’t want to Jon because I do, but I need some time. This is a big step for me.” She averted her gaze, slightly embarrassed by what she was about to say, “I’m 39 years old and the dark still bothers me.” His hand ran up her back to the end of her ponytail. With a gentle tug her head tilted back and he laid a kiss on her lips. “You don’t need to be embarrassed by that Frannie. I understand. If I could, I would go with you.” She smiled, “you have your own little monsters to deal with” she motioned toward the other room, “you don’t need to deal with mine too.” She reached up and kissed him, “but thank you just the same.” Jon released his hold on her. “Go get your things, I’ll get Sophie.”

Jon got Sophie situated in her car seat as Frannie said good bye to Romeo and Jake. He walked her to her car, helping her get Sophie buckled in. Standing by her door Frannie looked at Jon, “I had a good time today.” His fingers stroked her cheek lightly, tucking a stray curl behind her ear, curling his fingers around the back of her head. “I did too.” He leaned in and kissed her, his lips soft and warm on hers. His tongue teased her lower lip and when she opened her mouth, his tongue slid inside, dancing over hers. Frannie let her hands roam over his back, finally settling at his waist. He continued his assault on her mouth, savoring the taste of her. When he eased back, he nipped at her lips, neither breathing quite evenly. “You sure you have to go?” Frannie nodded her head, “yeah.” Jon kissed her forehead, “call me when you get home.” Her arms were still around his waist and she hugged him tight. “I will.” He released her, watching as she got in the car and drove away.

Frannie let herself into her house, glad she had thought to leave a light on when she had left earlier. Closing the door behind her, she engaged the deadbolt and took Sophie to her room. After getting her fed and settled for the night Frannie changed into her pajamas and sat down on the couch to call Jon. She flipped the TV on while waiting for the call to connect when a news flash came on. The man who raped her, the one she knew as #4 from the line up, Vincent Andrews, had escaped from prison earlier that night.

Jon had just gotten his boys to bed and was in the den when his phone buzzed at his hip. Glancing at the window he smiled as he answered, “hi there.” Frannie smiled “hi J..” her voice trailed off as she caught the new flash. “oh my God.” He heard the panic in her voice, “Frannie, what is it?” She didn’t answer. “Frannie!” He was a bit louder. “Frannie, what’s going on?!” She still didn’t answer and Jon was worried, “Frannie, talk to me. What’s wrong?!” She shut the TV off and finally found her voice, “Jon.” She didn’t sound like herself at all. She sounded terrified. “Frannie, what is it?” He heard the tears in her voice, “Jon, he escaped.” Now he was confused, “who are you talking about?” She swallowed and wiped her face. “Him.”

Jon suddenly he knew who she was talking about. Shit.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no. Not now, she is healing so good. And now he escapes from jail.
Now I´m scared, really. I hope she´ll be ok.

Nice chapter again
Catrin

Murmele said...

Hi Steph
another great chapter
i love the chemistry about Jon and Frannie
But HE escapes from jail, wow not so good, hope she´ll be ok

The Goddess Hathor said...

I loved this chapter, Stephanie! My heart was pounding because I could practically hear the tears in her voice. Nicely done. Hope that bastard doesn't hurt Frannie again.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great chapter.
Can't wit for more.

Sheena

Anonymous said...

Great chapter Stephanie! I loved the sweetness between them during their time together but now I'm worried if that creep will find her again!

Starr said...

I can't believe you left it like that Steph! I wanted to read more...

I knew that evil sob was gonna make another appearance somehow. I hope Jon keeps a close eye on her, and I agree with Jon, shit is right!

Good job and REALLY am looking forward to the next one!

Anonymous said...

Damn she's just getting her life back, and this happens!
I pray to God he doesn't try and get to her.
I think if he hurts her Jon just might kill him.
Can't wait for more Steph.

Gail xxx

jonsguttergirl said...

OMG!!! I can't believe it! Poor Frannie! I definitely didn't see this coming!

Opester said...

I was so afraid this would happen! I am glad she has Jon tho to help comfort her and see her through! Ok-off to read more...