Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Chapter 42


Frannie watched as Jon packed his bag. He looked over at her, “you sure you can’t come with me this time?” She shook her head, “I need to finish up in my studio. I’ll come Saturday for the game.” Jon sighed. He had to go to Philadelphia. He had meetings at the Soul offices and with Habitat and then there was the game on Saturday. He had tried to convince Frannie to come with him again but she refused. Jon shut the suitcase and set it on the floor before approaching her.

He cupped her face in his hands as he lowered is mouth to hers. The kiss was gentle and soft. “I’ll miss you baby.” He glanced over to the night table and then back at her, “bring the paint brushes?” Frannie’s face heated, “I’ll miss you too and consider them packed.” He smiled and took her hand, “walk me out.”

They descended the stairs and stopped at the front door. Jon kissed her again before slipping on his coat. “You’re sure?” He had to ask one last time. She nodded, “I’m sure Jon. I’ll be there on Saturday, I promise.” They heard the honk of a horn; the car was here to take him to the heliport. He was taking the chopper into Philly to save time. Jon pulled Frannie to him, hugging her close before kissing her soundly. “I’ll call you later baby. I love you.” Frannie hugged him tight, “I love you too. Be safe.”

Frannie watched the car leave before turning and heading to her studio. It was time to get this last piece done. All the ones from their trip were done as well as a few others she had started before they left. The only one left for her upcoming show was the one of Jon.

She pulled the sheet off and surveyed her mess. Picking up a photograph she stroked his face with her fingers. Would anyone get it? Would they see him as more than just the rock star? She sighed and set the picture down and turned to the wall. She had a large sheet of stiff-backed paper tacked up to the wall. Because she was doing a pencil drawing she couldn’t use a canvas and this would hold up to the blending and shading and any erasures she may make.

Frannie gathered all her supplies and set them up on a small table next to her. Turning on her small radio she picked up a pencil and stared at the blank paper. She closed her eyes and pictured him in her mind. As his music flowed around her, Frannie put pencil to paper and started to draw. While Jon sang of faith and of finding something to believe in Frannie’s pencil skimmed across the paper. She glanced at photos, picking out expressions and emotions, bits and pieces of him and the things that matter most.

Morning slid into afternoon and Frannie continued to work. When Dennis DeYoung begged someone to show him the way Frannie put her pencil down. Her hand was starting to feel the effects of her long day and her back was aching. Taking a step back, she studied what she had done. She nodded her head, yes, this was what she had been trying for.

His eyes stared back at her from the center of the piece. She had chosen her drawing from the other night, of him looking at her from over the corner of the newspaper for the center; the starting point and the eyes were in color. Everything else would be done in black pencil, but his eyes had to have color. She picked up her pencil once more and softened the lines and shaded around the edges, blending the one drawing into the next. When her phone rang she jumped and dropped her pencil. Dammit!

“Hello?”

To Jon’s ear she sounded distracted. “Hi baby. How’s it going?”

Frannie smiled, “Hi yourself. Things are fine here. How was your trip?”

“It was uneventful. Are you okay?” He was concerned that she was pushing herself too hard.

Frannie nodded, “I’m fine, just working. You’re a tough one to get down on paper.”

Jon sighed, “just don’t over do it Frannie. I know you tend to lose all track of time when you’re working. Make sure you at least take a break from time to time.”

“I won’t. As a matter of fact, I just stopped for the day. I’m going to go find Geena and Sophie and indulge in some well-deserved baby time.”

Jon smiled at the picture that came to mind of her and Sophie. “Give her a kiss from me and make sure you eat somewhere in there, please.”

Frannie sat down and nearly groaned, “I will babe, I promise. Did you finish up your meetings? What are you going to do for dinner?”

Jon moved around his room, restless. “We’re all done for today and I think I’m just going to order room service and watch some TV tonight. I have a feeling its going to be a long night.”

Frannie sighed, “I’m sorry babe. You know I’d be there if I could. If it’s any consolation, I don’t think I’ll be sleeping any better than you.”

Jon sighed again, “okay baby, you go eat and see little Sophie. I’m going to shower the day off and get some dinner myself. I’ll talk to you tomorrow. Love you.”

“Love you too Jon. Bye.” Frannie hung up and looked over to the drawing again. She really should keep going but she needed this break and she promised Jon. Standing she covered everything, shut off the light and headed out to find Geena and Sophie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This one gets lost after the rapist is caught. Now it's just talk and sex.

Super_Kiwi said...

Aww I loved this Chapter, again I love the ease between them. And Jon making sure she takes a break...she needs to look after herself. You describe the artistic elements so well. :)

The Goddess Hathor said...

Hey Steph, just got caught up. So.....where are the paintrushes? lmao I hope Jon likes the final product, and that her show goes well.

Opester said...

I so wish I could see that picture myself that Frannie is working on! I can well imagine how hard it would be to capture the various moods and elements that represent Jon-I have a couple thousand pics on my hard drive and I on't feel that even captures it all! I sure hope that Jon "gets" the picture and what she is trying to convey after so much hard work! It would mean so much to to her to know that he understands and can read her too!