Thursday, January 10, 2008

Chapter 20


Jon turned and paced, how could he say this without sounding like a total ass? He stopped and faced Frannie, still not saying anything. For a man who made his living off his words, he just couldn’t seem to find the right ones now.

After several long quiet minutes, Frannie turned and left the room. Jon sighed and sat down, his head in his hands. This had not gone well at all. When he heard the click of the back door he got off the couch and followed her.

Frannie grabbed her jacket and went out the back door, needing some air and needing to put some space between her and Jon. It wasn't that she was mad at Jon; she was disappointed that he couldn’t tell her how he felt. She wandered the grounds, ending up sitting on the kids’ swings. This is where Jon found her.

“Hey.” Frannie looked up to find Jon standing in front of her. “You walked away from me.” Frannie nodded, “I needed some air.” Jon sat down on the swing next to her. “I messed up back there. I just don’t know how to say what I’m feeling.” Frannie stared out across the expanse of lawn, “how about just saying it straight out?” Jon chuckled, “you think you’re so smart, don’t you?” She shrugged her shoulders, “nah, I just think its best not to beat around the bush.”

He took her advice and just spit out what, in his convoluted round about way he had been trying to say. “I want you in my life Frannie. I care about you and I would like to see where this relationship is going to go.” He got up off the swing and stood in front of her again. Taking her hand he tugged her up to her feet. He tucked her hair behind her ear slid his hands along her jaw, holding her face, caressing her cheeks with his thumbs. “I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I want you to know that I want you here, in my home and in my life; you and Sophie.”

Frannie felt tears form in her eyes as he spoke. She reached up and grasped his wrists, turning to kiss each palm before she spoke. “I care about you too Jon and I also would like to see where the fates will take us. So, I guess, as long as you’re sure about it, you’re stuck with Sophie and me.” Jon slid his hands from her face to her waist and pulled Frannie into a hug, “God, you don’t know how glad I am to hear you say that. When you walked out I thought I had blown it.” She hugged him back, “I didn’t mean to make you feel like that Jon. I just needed some space to gather my own thoughts. I was hoping this was what you were trying to say and I wanted to be sure myself.”

Feeling a sense of relief Jon reached down and took her hand, “come on, let’s go back inside.” As they walked toward the house a thought came to Jon, “Frannie, would you come to Philly with me tomorrow?” She shrugged, “sure I guess. What’s going on in Philly tomorrow?” Jon opened the door for her, “there is a game tomorrow night and I have a couple things to take care of before hand.”

He paused for a moment as the door clicked shut behind them, “you know, why don’t we just stay the night? The game won’t end til after 9 and then we usually go to Chickie & Pete’s afterward.” Frannie hung her jacket up and turned to Jon, uneasiness showing on her face, “I don’t know about spending the night Jon.” She hadn’t ever left Sophie overnight and just at the mention of it had her feeling a bit of separation anxiety. He scanned her face, “what’s the matter?” They headed toward the kitchen as they talked, “I’ve never left Sophie overnight before Jon.” He nodded his head in understanding. Dorothea had been the same way the first time leaving any of their kids. “I know it’s a tough thing, but you’re going to have to do it at some point. Just think about it.”

Frannie left Jon in the kitchen and went in search of Geena. She found the young woman upstairs in the nursery changing Sophie. “How has my baby girl been today?” Geena smiled at her employer “she’s been a delight Frannie.” She walked over and picked Sophie up off the changing table, “hey baby girl.” Sophie smiled and gurgled at her mother. “Geena?” She dropped the dirty diaper into the pail and turned to Frannie, “yes?” Frannie sighed and sat down in the rocking chair, bouncing the baby on her lap, “Mr. Bon Jovi wants to take me to Philadelphia tomorrow and spend the night, would you be able to stay with Sophie?” Geena smiled brightly, “taking care of that little bundle of joy is my job Frannie. It’s no problem at all.”

“Thank you Geena.” Frannie smiled at the young woman. She then looked down at Sophie, “what do you say we go see what Jon is up to?”

They found Jon getting shooed out of the kitchen by Lani. “Okay, okay, I’m going. Sheesh.” Frannie heard his laughter as she came around the corner. “What are you doing to that poor woman Jon?” He smiled at the sight of two of his favorite girls coming his way, “I was only trying to see what was for dinner and” he was rubbing the back of his hand as he reached for the baby “she smacked me with her spoon.” Frannie laughed as she handed Sophie over. “You were trying to sneak a taste and got caught is what you did. Serves you right.” Jon walked toward the den looking down at Sophie, “are you on my side at least?”

3 comments:

Starr said...

Am wondering... why can't Jon say he loves her? Is it so hard? I have to admit I was a bit disappointed in the words he used to convince her to stay.
I know, I know.. I am impatient here. But they have been seeing each other for awhile now, right? I mean surely long enough for Jon to realize that he loves her..

I guess I'll just have to be patient and hopefully that will happen before too long..

Look forward to the next installment Steph and glad to hear you are feeling better!

The Goddess Hathor said...

Hey Steph; I liked the way you handled the convo w/Jon and Frannie. I understand thewm being gun-shy about the L-word. Like Starr, I'm sure they'll figure it out soon enough! Bring on Philly!

Opester said...

BRAVO!!!!!!! I think was handled beautifully and the added reality check makes the story that much more enthralling. No need to rush to the romance-i like the pace and the way the story unfolds. They didn't rush into the relationship in the beginning and rushing into "love" would not seem reasonable given that! Kudos, Steph! I like this a lot!