Monday, October 1, 2007

Chapter 3


Jon waited with bated breath for her to continue. Frannie was staring at Jon’s hand as it rubbed up and down Sophie’s back. She could feel his eyes on her, waiting for her to say something. She stood and moved away from his gaze. Maybe if he wasn’t watching her it would be easier for her to tell him.

“I don’t know who Sophie’s father is.” Jon watched as she moved toward the window, “you don’t remember his name?” He wasn’t sure if that was what she had meant, so he waited for her to continue. She shook her head and turned to face him, but couldn’t meet his eyes. “I never knew his name. I was raped in a restaurant parking lot about a year ago. He’s still out there” she gestured to the window “somewhere. The police never caught him.” He looked down at the baby sleeping in his arms, how could something so precious come from an act so vicious? Jon rose from the chair and crossed the room to her. Now he understood the wariness and fear in her eyes and the stiffening at his innocent touch the day before. He reached for her hand, she started to pull away and he stopped her. “I won’t hurt you.” She looked up meeting his eyes then, finding only concern and compassion. She let him take her hand and he led her back to the couch.

When she spoke again, her voice was thick with unshed tears. “I’m tired Jon.” When he didn’t say anything she pressed on. “I’m tired of being afraid. That’s why I lock myself in the house. I don’t go out at night unless I absolutely have to. The first time I did, was to see you and that took every ounce of strength I had. I sleep with the lights on more nights than I care to admit.” She stopped and took a breath and looked over at Jon, wanting but not wanting to see his expression. She was relieved to see that it was still one of compassion, not pity as she had feared. “I still have nightmares sometimes.” She swiped at the tears that had slid down her cheeks. “I used to have a life, go out with my friends, have shows at the gallery, go out on dates. Now, I sit in my house and hide. I still draw and paint, but I drop them at the gallery and that’s it. I haven’t been with a man since that night and I haven’t been on a date since before that. My friends have been great, but they don’t really understand.” She looked pointedly at Jon, “I want my life back Jon. I don’t like this person I have become.”

Jon started to say something but Sophie started to fuss. Glancing at her watch, Frannie realized it was way past time for her to eat. “Let me take her, she needs to eat.” Without giving thought to where she was or who she was with, Frannie opened her shirt and put Sophie to her breast. Jon watched as the baby ate hungrily and as Frannie caressed her cheek. It was sight that had moved him with Dorothea and it was no different now. He felt a connection with Sophie not unlike the one he had with his own children.

He brought his gaze to Frannie’s face, now that he knew her story he thought her to be one of the bravest people he knew. How many women would have kept the baby after that? It takes a strong person to overcome that kind of ordeal and then raise the baby of a man capable of that kind of violence. It made him angry to think that the police hadn’t caught the asshole that hurt her. No wonder she was afraid.

Frannie looked up and caught Jon staring at her, “what?” He slowly shook his head, “you are a stronger, better person than I Frannie. I don’t know that, if put in your shoes, I could do what you are doing.” She shifted Sophie up to her shoulder and patted her back. “I just did what I thought would the best thing for Sophie.” She met his eyes with hers, “I didn’t ask for any of this, but I wouldn’t trade her for anything.” Sophie started squirming, “would you mind taking her?” Jon reached for her and Frannie realized her shirt was still open. Jon caught a brief glance of a creamy rose tipped breast just before she righted her shirt. He cleared his throat before he spoke, “you are doing a fine job with her Frannie, but I am worried about you.” She stood and started gathering their things. “Don’t worry about me Jon, I’ll be fine. We should really be going now.” Frannie glanced out the window and realized the sunny early afternoon had waned to a late day thunderstorm.

There was a commotion in the doorway and Frannie and Jon turned to see a rather drippy Richie standing there. He was in town to visit his mother and Jon had invited him over that night for dinner. “I wouldn’t go out there just now if I were you; it’s coming down every which way but straight out there.” Jon walked over to shake his friend’s hand, “how are ya man?” Richie found a dry spot on his jeans and wiped his hand before shaking Jon’s. “Just fine man and who is this little princess?” He ran his hand over Sophie’s head. Sophie squealed in delight at the sound of Richie’s voice and the men laughed.

Frannie walked over near the men at the sound of her daughter’s laughter, “okay, you’re both coming home with me for the middle of the night scream sessions.” They all laughed and Richie looked at Jon questioningly. “Richie you remember Frannie?” He looked her up and down trying to place her. He looked over at the baby and then back at Frannie, “you’re the one we helped what was it, three months ago?” Frannie nodded her head, “that’s me.” He leaned in to kiss her cheek and she forced herself not to back away. “How are ya darlin’?” Richie turned back to Jon, “this must be…Sophie, right?” Again Frannie nodded, “good memory Richie.” He smiled, “I always remember the pretty ones darlin’.”

They chatted for a minute more. “I really should take Sophie home.” Frannie moved to retrieve her bag and there was a loud boom of thunder followed by a crack of lightening that lit up the whole room. Jon looked at Frannie, “You’re not going out there. The two of you are welcome to stay until the storm passes.” Frannie didn’t know what to do. She was torn between her fear of being out after dark and her unwillingness to take Sophie out in the storm. “What about your wife and children Jon, I don’t want to impose.” Jon turned to Richie, “will you take Sophie?” Recognizing the look on his friend’s face Richie didn’t hesitate. “Sure, come here princess” he cooed to Sophie. “We’re just gonna take a little walk.” He walked out of the room, leaving Jon and Frannie alone.

Jon took Frannie’s hand and they went back and sat on the couch. He looked over at her, she had been painfully honest with him and it was only fair that he give her the same respect. “Frannie, I need to tell you something.” She looked at Jon only then noticing the pain and sadness in his eyes, “what?” With a heavy heart he told her what had been weighing on him over the last several months. “You don’t have to worry about Dorothea or the kids tonight. We are in the midst of a divorce and she has the kids.” Frannie didn’t know what to say. How had she not heard about that? “A divorce, but I thought you were so happy?” She cringed after the words came out of her mouth. They sounded ridiculous. He smiled and reached for her hand, this time she didn’t pull away. “I thought we were too Frannie, but obviously Dot wasn’t. She served me with papers after the last tour ended. She moved out and took the kids with her.” That was the part that was slowly killing him. The fact that she took the kids and, while he was able to see them whenever he wanted, it wasn’t the same as them being in the house and underfoot all the time. He missed the noise that was them, the bickering, fighting and laughing. He didn’t think he would ever get used to the quiet.

Frannie watched the different emotions cross his face as he told her what had been happening. Tentatively she raised her free hand and touched his cheek. He glanced at her, surprise clearly showing in his eyes. “It will get better Jon. You just need to believe that. Right now it may not seem like it, but it will.” He put his hand over hers so she wouldn’t pull it away and turned his head to kiss her palm. Looking over at her, he marveled at her. She had her own demons she was fighting and she still found compassion for him and his troubles. “Thank you.” She raised an eyebrow at him, “for what, all I did was sit here and listen.” “Sometimes that’s all it takes.” She gave him a small smile, pulled her hand back and got up and walked over to the window.

Jon got up and lit a fire in the fireplace before coming up behind her. She didn’t jump this time when he got close. He placed his hands on her shoulders, he could feel her trembling under his touch but he didn’t release her. He wanted to help her move past her fears and anxieties, but he wasn’t quite sure how. “Hey.” She dragged her gaze from the window and looked over her shoulder at him, “what?” He turned her to face him, her arms were crossed in front of her and he tugged at them until he could hold both of her hands in his. He scanned her face, watching for any sign that she was uncomfortable with what he was doing. “You said you want your life back and I would like to help you.” Before she could say anything he continued. “I know my life is a bit of a mess right now too, but maybe we can help heal each other.”

For the first time in a long time, Frannie didn’t feel afraid. Looking in the blue of Jon’s eyes, she felt at ease with him and thought maybe this could be what she needed. She squeezed his hands, “Are you sure Jon?” He nodded his head, “Since the night we helped you bring Sophie into the world I have wondered about you. I want the chance Frannie. It was a strange twist of fate that brought you to me; I don’t want to waste it. I want to see what happens. I want to help you find you again.” She nodded her head, “okay, but remember, it is not just me you are taking on, there is Sophie to consider too.” Jon smiled, “I know, I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Richie came back with Sophie then, “sorry to intrude, but someone needs to be changed, and it ain’t me.”

7 comments:

The Goddess Hathor said...

Oh, Stephanie, what a touching chapter! Frannie's fear and inner battle was very real and very well written. Glad everything is out in the open, and that Frannie and Jon are gonna try to help each other out. SO looking forward to more.

Oh, and Richie's parting line? Had me in hysterics here at work. :o)

jonsguttergirl said...

Steph...this story is awesome!!! I loved this chapter. You could totally feel the compassion from both Frannie and Jon. Great Job sistah!

Anonymous said...

great chapter Stephanie! Loved what Richie said at the end, to funny. Keep up the good work hon.
Heatherbonjovi

Starr said...

Gosh, Frannie is in such a fragile place right now. But Jon seems to be doing just the right thing. He was compassionate and gentle with her.
And yeah, what Richie said at the end sounds pretty much like I envision him being. lol!

Good writing Stephanie and I look forward to the next one! :)

Anonymous said...

Damn Richie, made me lol!

Steph this is going to be a fantastic story.

Now, when's the next chapter up??

Told you I'd bug you ;)

Gail xx

Anonymous said...

Steph, I love your writing style!

And I wouldn't change Richie for the world! LOL!

Opester said...

Excellent, excellent, excellent! Your style is wonderful and I am really enjoying the story. healing is such a delicate thing and their is nothing so great as a relationship between two people to mend the soul. I am really impressed! (and hooked)